If you have been diagnosed with cancer, you may experience a surge of emotions like anger, shock, being overwhelmed, or fear. It is normal to have such feelings, whether you are in the middle of treatment or are recovering after treatment. Along the treatment and recovery journey, you need to understand that it is vital to take care of yourself and prioritize your health above everything else. The treatment, side-effects, and surgeries may make you feel that things are out of your hands. By practicing self-care, you will feel more in control of yourself. Visiting a reputed hospital for medical oncology treatment in India will increase your chances of recovery and help you return to an active, healthy life.
Tips for self-care to help you cope with cancer
These tips will help you cope with the different stages of cancer and recover quickly.
- Dealing with side-effects of treatment: Consulting the best cancer doctors in Mumbai will help you understand how to minimize and manage the side-effects. If you are undergoing chemotherapy or radiation, the severity of side-effects will depend on the drugs being administered. If you experience fatigue, you can counter it with mild forms of exercise, like taking a walk. Nausea and vomiting are commonly experienced symptoms, which can be managed by taking anti-nausea drugs. It is advisable to eat short meals during the day rather than large ones and avoid spicy and oily foods to reduce nausea symptoms. By being very gentle with your hair, you can minimize, the hair loss that is common during chemotherapy. By sucking ice chips, you can reduce the possibility of mouth sores
- Get adequate sleep: During the course of your cancer treatment, your sleep pattern is likely to get affected. Getting sufficient sleep will improve your physical and mental health and speed up your recovery process. If you are having difficulty sleeping, talk to your doctor so that he can suggest some remedy to rectify your problem. Relaxation techniques like yoga or meditation can reduce stress and induce sleep
- Eat nutritious food: Consuming foods rich in nutrients is crucial to managing the side-effects of treatment. Eat more vegetables, fruits, whole-grain foods, lean proteins and stay off junk foods as much as possible. Such a healthy diet will improve your weight, reduce fatigue, and keep away infections. Maintaining a well-balanced, nutritious diet and avoiding junk foods after you have recovered will help prevent the recurrence of cancer
- Drink enough water: You need to drink sufficient amounts of water to maintain your body’s balance of minerals. Drink at least eight-ounce glasses or more in a day to battle the dehydration that may result from side-effects like diarrhea or vomiting
- Maintain hygiene: It is crucial to keep yourself free from infections during your treatment. Washing hands frequently is the best way to get rid of microorganisms
- Get some exercise: After consulting your doctor, you can do some form of exercise to build your strength and improve your state of mind. Such regular workouts after treatment can prevent many cancers from recurring
- Share your feelings: You need to open up about your feelings with someone like a close friend, family members, or a trained counselor. This will help manage the range of emotions that you experience before and during treatment