The COVID-19 pandemics have infused people worldwide with a terrible sense of fear, uncertainty, and confusion regarding their health. Apart from impacting every aspect of living, the most significant impact of COVID-19 is probably on the people who are patients of other deadly diseases, namely Cancer.
Scientific statistics and their extrapolation depict that cancer patients have higher chances of getting infected with coronavirus than regular patients. Under these circumstances, it is a real challenge for the patients, family members, caregivers, and medical professionals associated with cancer patients’ treatment.
Many cancer hospitals in Mumbai have trained staff who are dedicatedly working hard day and night to help cancer patients – the ones who are most vulnerable to overcome the risk of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Many cancer patients subjected to regular treatment at medical centers and not at home were delaying their treatment schedules. They were afraid that the hospital visit might lead to coronavirus infection. The overall picture was of chaos and malfunctioning of the entire architecture of cancer diagnosis, patient care, and treatment.
How Cancer Patients Can Reduce their Risk of Infection During Pandemic?
There are two steps that cancer patients must take to reduce their risk of being infected with coronavirus infection necessarily.
- Firstly, opt for the reputed cancer treatment hospitals because they abide by standard protocols to maintain utmost safety and hygiene at their place, which can considerably reduce the risk of any cancer patient coming in contact with the virus. You can find such facilities at the renowned cancer hospitals in Mumbai.
- The second step is more applicable for health professionals to look into. The aim of protecting cancer patients from unnecessary exposure to the coronavirus calls into action the changing of plans and strategies for cancer diagnosis and cancer treatment. The professionals of the best oncology treatment hospitals in Mumbai follow multiple strategies to keep the cancer patients who come there for treatment safe from infection.
Symptoms of COVID-19
The symptoms of COVID-19 infections are the same in Cancer patients as in the rest of the population and include:
- Shortness of breath
- Respiratory problems
The patient may be symptomatic or asymptomatic. The effect of the disease is dreaded for cancer patients because they already have a compromised immunity system. The cancer patients have a weakened immunity system, which amplifies their risk of being infected with coronavirus by manifolds. Not all cancer patients are equally susceptible to infection.
However, things might be worse to worst for the following people:
- Patients suffering from lung cancer
- Patients who are from different types of blood cancers like leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma
- Patients who are actively undergoing chemotherapy treatment
- For patients who have Cancer and are also suffering from various comorbidity issues like high blood pressure, diabetes, cholesterol, and so on